Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Building a Game Engine: Day 0 (ish)

It's not really Day 0, but I feel the need to start keeping an engineering log, and this unused blog account seems to be the perfect place.

So, I'm re-inventing the wheel. I've decided to build a 3D rendering Engine, and a Game engine from scratch. I'm not trying to build a better wheel. I'm just trying to learn a little about wheel building.

Today, I can draw wireframe shapes on the screen and rotate them about 3 axis - though not very well. I'm still a little (a lot?) fuzzy on points and vectors and what w is. If you're reading this please feel free to send me corrections (or useful links !) I don't want to disseminate bad information if I can help it.

So my game engine began with the idea of writing a quick (ha!) software only 3d rendering engine and then adding some game rules to it. I hope one day to to produce a multiplayer game that can be played over the web. but for now I'm just building the very basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment